Mackays Hotel we are proud that they achieved a Gold for their first ever assessment by the Green Tourism Business scheme
They are committed to providing the best service possible whilst minimising the environmental impact of activities. That is why Mackays Hotel are a member of the Green Tourism Business scheme. The scheme provides accreditation and encourages businesses to adopt and maintain sustainable practices.
Some of the main steps we have taken to reduce our environmental impact are:
Biomass boiler installed in 2014
Using email as much as possible to save paper waste
Promoting sustainable transport within the World Heritage Site, including walking and cycling routes The fitting of low energy bulbs across our sites
Commitment to Fairtrade and locally sourced produce
Reuse scrap paper
Electric car chargers installed
Sell a number local crafts – hand made in Wick and Caithness
Can provide guests with public transport information and cycling and walking routes
Members of the Walkers and Cyclists welcome scheme
Use local suppliers and seasonal ingredients
The aims of the Mackays Hotel Green Tourism policy are:
- monitor energy, water and waste levels on a monthly basis and take action where necessary.
- ensure the efficient use of energy, water and other resources, encouraging an ‘environmentally
- make our guests and staff aware of environmental issues and the responsibilities they have for the
environment, through regular communication by induction, meetings, training and frequent guest
- promote the reduce, reuse and recycle ethos.
- encourage visitors to be responsible by promoting the Responsible Visitors Charter and Green
Mackays Hotel, Union St, Wick KW1 5ED